Why Choose Nazareth for Chinese?
The Chinese major at Nazareth College is an immersive experience that provides students with concentrated training in Mandarin, the standard modern Chinese language.
In addition, students are exposed to the literature, history, culture, arts, and religions of China. The emphasis will be on preparing students for further study as translators and interpreters, and for corporate and government service, as well as preparing them for advanced study in the language and culture.
- Nazareth is the only Rochester, NY area college or university to offer a Chinese major, in which the growing demand for competency in language and culture continues to rise.
- The program’s faculty comprises professors from various areas of study including history, art, and Asian studies; in addition, the faculty includes native speakers.
- Students at Nazareth have access to fully equipped language labs as well as opportunities to participate in short-term or exchange study abroad opportunities in China.
- The job market for proficient individuals continues to grow as companies in domestic and international markets actively seek employees with competence in the language and culture.
- 10 courses are taught in Chinese at the 100, 200, and 300 levels and taken on campus and at Shandong Normal University, Nazareth’s partner school in China.
- Students must study abroad at least one semester, with two semesters strongly encouraged.
Typical Class Schedule