Majors that require music auditions
Scholarships for music majors
Exceptional auditions may qualify you for scholarship funding that is distributed by the music faculty. If you are a recipient, these scholarships will appear on your financial aid award letter.
Ensemble scholarships for non-music majors
Non-music majors who sing or play an instrument are encouraged to audition. If you are placed in an ensemble at Nazareth, you will be considered for a music scholarship.
Auditions for admission/scholarships are held from November to April in the Gerald G. Wilmot Hall of Music on Nazareth College’s campus. In addition, Nazareth holds auditions in select cities throughout the northeast.
Register for an audition
View available dates and register for a music audition online, or call Undergraduate Admissions, 800-462-3944 or 585-389-2860.
Complete SlideRoom music portfolio
Before your audition, complete a Music Degree Portfolio using SlideRoom. (No fee.) It is important to have this supplement completed before you arrive to speed up the registration and audition process on your audition day.
What to expect at the audition
- Auditions are between 9:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Time is provided for warm-up and a brief rehearsal.
- For music majors: Theory Placement exams are at 8:30 a.m. First-year examinations normally require one hour. Additional time is scheduled for junior-year placement, which is done by exam only.
- For music majors: Sight-singing and piano proficiency exams are scheduled within the remaining time.
- A personal interview follows the audition.
- Music/Business applicants have the option to follow a different audition format. Audition Details.
- For Music Composition applicants —the audition on a performance instrument will be followed by a composition interview. Please bring scores and/or recordings of your best work. Online links to recordings and videos are acceptable.
Specific Requirements by Instrument
Brass and Woodwinds