The interdisciplinary gerontology program at Nazareth College consists of 18 credit hours. Students may combine a minor in gerontology with coursework from any department, such as communication sciences and disorders, social work, psychology, nursing, physical therapy, and music therapy.
A one-semester internship at a local agency/institution is available and recommended to reinforce and supplement learning through:
- Contact with professionals on the job
- Direct contact with genuine problems and issues in the field of aging
- Witnessing ways that society responds to aging issues raised in the classroom
- Opportunities to evaluate your personal responses to working with or for older persons
- A "learning lab" in which to test theoretical concepts and to define or refine clinical experiences