Research Organization and Industry
Review Past Experiences
Practice Interview Questions
Questions for the Employer
Know Where You're Going
What to Bring With You
Thank You Note
- Not knowing anything about the company and clearly not having done any research prior to the interview, indicating a lack of interest in and enthusiasm for the company and position.
- Not providing enough detail and specific examples when answering questions about skills/past experiences.
- Being negative and complaining about past employers and/or experiences.
- Not maintaining good eye contact.
- Not exhibiting poise and self-confidence (ex: offering a weak handshake).
- Not using professional language, such as saying "yeah" instead of "yes" and saying "like", "you know", "um" and "uh."
- Arriving late for the interview.
- Not having questions to ask the employer (see Questions to Ask).
- Having a poor personal appearance.
- Lack of clear and realistic career goals.