Frequently Asked Questions

How and when do I apply for aid at Nazareth?

All students applying for Federal and/or New York State aid (Tuition Assistance Program or TAP) should file the FAFSA by the recommended deadline:

  • By February 1 for entering freshmen
  • By February 1 for entering transfer students
  • By March 1 for returning students 
What are the school codes for Nazareth University?
  • Federal Code: 002779 (to be used on FAFSA)
  • Undergraduate TAP Code: 0525 (to be used on NYS TAP application)
  • Graduate TAP Code: 5685 (to be used on NYS TAP application for Veteran's awards only)
Is eligibility determined by income?

Income alone does not determine your eligibility for need-based financial assistance; however, it is the most significant factor. Assets also influence the calculation as does family size, other family members in college, or documented unusual circumstances.

What is a "financial aid offer"?

Your Nazareth financial aid offer will be a comprehensive offer of scholarships, grants, loans and work study. Your offer is based on your financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your academic merit. 

When will I receive my financial aid offer?
  • Early Decision applicants: You will receive a financial aid and scholarship offer with your admission decision.
  • Regular Decision applicants: You will receive merit scholarship information with your admission decision, and a financial aid shortly after your admission decision.
  • Transfer applicants: After admission notification, you will receive your financial aid offer on a rolling basis shortly after your admission decision.
  • Returning students: You will receive notice of renewal financial aid offers via email beginning in April for students taking summer classes and June for students returning in the fall.
How will my aid be disbursed?

All financial aid offered, with the exception of Federal Work Study, will be credited to your student account. Once your college charges have been paid (tuition, housing, food and fees), any additional money will be refunded to you for other educational needs and living expenses. Wages earned from a work study job are paid directly to the student bi-weekly.

How do I get paid for my work-study job?

You will receive a paycheck bi-weekly. Work-study is not applied directly to the student account.

How do I pay for books before I get my refund?

For students who will be eligible for a refund, it is possible to receive a book allowance on your NazCard ID to cover the cost of books at the Nazareth Bookstore.

Bookstore funds can be applied to a returning student's NazCard ID 2 weeks before the start of the semester.

To request that, fill out the Federal Title IV Fund Authorization Form for Naz Student Accounts to implement.

Will outside scholarships affect my financial aid offer?

Probably not but to be certain, please refer to Financial Aid Policies

Are tuition payment plans available?
Will an application for aid affect my admission status?

No, Nazareth University does not base admissions decisions on a student's financial aid status.

What if my family's financial circumstances change during a given year? What do I do?

Any time there is a significant change in a student's family's financial circumstances (such as loss of employment, death of a parent, serious medical condition, divorce etc.), we encourage the student or parent to complete a special condition form detailing and documenting the situation. All appeals are reviewed and responded to in writing. If a change in aid is warranted, the student will receive a new offer letter detailing the revised aid amounts.

How can I be declared an independent student?

Your answers to the questions on the FAFSA form determine whether you are considered independent or dependent for financial aid purposes.

You are not considered independent if you are estranged from your parents because you do not get along with them, nor if your parents choose not to pay for your education.

If you feel you have circumstances you would like to discuss, make an appointment with us 585-389-2310. 

I don't think I'll qualify for financial aid. Should I bother applying?

Yes. At the very least, you will be able to borrow using a low-interest Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan.

If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent should complete the FAFSA?

Answer the questions using information about the parent that you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided the most financial support for you (e.g. money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, medical expenses). Child support payments from your other parent will be taken into consideration, and information about the income and assets of any stepparent must also be provided. We realize that these situations can be sensitive and complicated. Please feel free to discuss your individual circumstances with one of our counselors. All information will remain confidential.

What does the EFC number mean on my student aid report (SAR)?

The data reported on your FAFSA is used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution value. Nazareth University uses this value as a guideline for determining your aid eligibility. The federal EFC value is not necessarily your out-of-pocket cost to attend Nazareth.

What is the difference between a grant and a loan?

Grants and scholarships are "gift aid".  Gift aid is free money that does not have to be repaid. Loans are considered "self-help" programs. Loans have to be repaid by the borrower.

How do I apply for a student loan?

To begin the loan application process, file the FAFSA. If eligible, a Federal Direct Loan will be listed on your financial aid offer. First-time borrowers must also complete Entrance Counseling and a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note.

I have loans on my financial aid offer. When do I have to repay them?

There are several types of federal loans including Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, Subsidized Federal Stafford, Unsubsidized Federal Stafford, Plus. You do not have to begin repaying most federal student loans until after you leave college or drop below half-time enrollment. Find out when repayment starts, how to make your payment, repayment plan options, what to do if you have trouble making payments, and more by visiting under "How to Repay Your Loans" - Understanding Repayment.

How do I pay the difference between my estimated cost of attendance and my financial aid?

Families have several options to assist with their costs. You may enroll in a monthly, interest-free payment plan. Parents of dependent students can borrow from the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Program. You also have the option of applying for a private/alternative loan (i.e. non-federal) as long as you have a credit-worthy co-signer.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid next year?

Yes, you must reapply for financial aid each year using the FAFSA. The FAFSA application is available beginning October 1st. Reminders to reapply will be sent to Nazareth students who are receiving financial aid.

Will my financial aid offer remain the same each year?

Every effort will be made to continue a similar level of institutional gift aid each year. Students receiving merit scholarships do not need to re-apply to renew those scholarships. Merit scholarships will automatically be renewed at the same level, as long as the renewal requirements are met. Students must reapply for need-based financial aid each year. Assuming you remain in good academic standing, file the application forms by the recommended deadline, and demonstrate a similar level of need, you can expect approximately the same level of institutional gift aid each year.

Do I keep aid if I study abroad?

See the financial aid policy on study abroad.

What kind of financial aid is available for summer enrollment?

Please refer to "Summer Study" in Financial Aid Policies.

Have more questions?

Contact Us