Academic Advisement

Current Students Taking Courses at Another College

Trying to get ahead or make up for deficiencies? Whatever the reason for taking classes at another institution, proper planning and advisement will ensure that the courses you select will satisfy degree requirements at Nazareth. Review the guidelines and policies in the Undergraduate Catalog prior to selecting your classes. Be sure to discuss your choices with your advisor when you meet to discuss and plan your next semester schedule.

Here are the steps:

  1. Research possible transfer courses, look first for courses with titles and descriptions similar to those of Nazareth courses. Course cancellations generally occur at the last minute, so it is often helpful to identify and receive prior approval for an alternate course in case your first choice is canceled.
  2. Schedule a brief appointment with a Transfer Credit Evaluator by calling 585-389-2871 or email Please include course descriptions in the email.
  3. A Transfer Credit Approval Form must be signed by your academic advisor and by the chairperson of the department in which the transfer course would be located at Nazareth.
  4. After you have those approvals, register for the course(s) at the visiting college. That college might require additional paperwork, transcripts, or placement testing.
  5. Upon completion of the course, contact the registrar at the college you attended and request an official transcript to be sent to the registrar at Nazareth. Student grade reports and grade documents printed from websites are not official. Transfer courses are usually posted to Nazareth academic records within two days of receiving the official external transcript. You will get a confirmation by e-mail, or check NazNet Self-Service.

Information for Transferring Credits:

  • Grades for courses taken at other colleges are NOT calculated into the Nazareth GPA and CANNOT be used to replace grades earned at Nazareth.
  • Students who have had 66 credits accepted in transfer from two-year colleges may not transfer any additional credits from the two-year college level. Depending on several factors, it may still be possible to transfer courses from an accredited four-year college.
  • A minimum grade of C- is required to receive credit for a transfer course. Courses graded on a Pass/Fail basis are not accepted in transfer.
  • No more than 8 credit hours or 2 courses may be taken in any one 5 or 6 week summer session.