Frequently Asked Questions

Costs & Financial Aid

Can I use my financial aid package towards study abroad?


Yes. Your Nazareth financial aid package (apart from work study) stays the same for all long-term Nazareth programs. This includes both federal and private grants and loans you receive.


No. You cannot use your Nazareth financial aid package to pay for short-term programs or non-Nazareth programs.

Are there any scholarships for study abroad?

Yes. You are encouraged to apply to all scholarship opportunities you qualify for to help fund your study abroad experience.

Qualifying freshman, sophomore, and transfer students may apply for the SPARK grant.

Credit-bearing short-term summer programs may also qualify for academic credit offset scholarships. Please inquire in the Center for International Education.

Additional funding may be available for eligible students and programs including, but not limited to, the following Nazareth departments:

Check out the Financial Aid website for information on our Nazareth study abroad scholarships.

External and national scholarships include:

Coursework & Transcripts

What kinds of courses can I take?


Long-term program courses can fulfill PEQ requirements and, in many cases, major requirements. Specific course listings for our partner universities can be found online or by contacting the program director.


Depending on the plan of study, short-term programs can be credit or non-credit bearing. Short-term credit-bearing programs are typically 3 credits total.

Are the grading systems similar to the U.S.?

Grading systems can vary country to country, however your study abroad transcript will have the U.S. grade equivalencies for every accredited course you take non-Pass/Fail. This transcript will be sent to the Center for International Education and then forwarded to the Registrar to enter on your Nazareth transcript.

Get course credit

If you'll be taking courses abroad, fill out the study abroad course approval form before you go, so your credits will transfer to Nazareth.

Health & Safety

Do I need health insurance to study abroad?

Yes. Health insurance is required for all students studying abroad to ensure that they are able to manage any existing and unanticipated health conditions overseas.

Who should I contact in case of emergency?

In any emergency situation, your first contact should be the resident director of your program overseas. If you are living with a host family, be sure to contact them as well. In addition to on-site support, the Department of State website offers important information about travel advisories and warnings. You should also call the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to get advice about what to do next, including notifying the local law enforcement or finding English-speaking doctors. 

COVID-19 Protocols & Guidelines

It is strongly recommended that all students, faculty, and staff be fully vaccinated, including the booster shot, to participate in any international program sponsored by, or affiliated with, Nazareth University. The Center for International Education is following all Nazareth University and Center for Disease Control guidelines on vaccination status for those traveling with the University.

Please note, COVID guidelines are subject to change depending on the specific requirements set in place by any country, partner institution, and/or third-party provider. The CIE will notify anyone traveling with the University if vaccination requirements are different from the Nazareth policy. If necessary, vaccination status will be confirmed before approval for any international program through the "Authorization to Release COVID Vaccination Status" form provided by Health & Counseling. This form is to be completed and returned via email or in person to the Center for International Education, not to the Health & Counseling office. Please visit the University's COVID-19 Vaccine page for more details about these protocols.

All participants in any international program will also be required to follow all COVID-19 protocols and guidelines set in place by the University and country of destination. Please note that wearing masks and/or COVID testing may be required in other countries or to travel. All students, faculty, and staff will be required to adhere to these protocols, whether they are set by the University, airlines and travel companies, the U.S. government, or foreign governments.


What are my housing options overseas?

Living arrangements are program-dependent and vary from host families to campus dormitories. Some of our partners also allow students to make their own living arrangements. If you have any questions or concerns about your housing, contact your program director.

What does it typically cost to live off-campus?

This completely depends on where you want to go! Renting an apartment close to campus can cost $150/month in Hungary and $1250/month in the UK. Be smart and decide what your budget is before you decide to live off campus.

International Travel

Can I travel while abroad?

Absolutely!! We encourage you to take full advantage of the travel opportunities you have overseas. However, your first responsibility is to your academics. Failure to complete your schoolwork will result in academic probation and further disciplinary action. Remember to bring your passport and visa with you at all times, and review country entry and exit policies and visa requirements before you travel.


Which study abroad programs have internships?

Currently, we have internship opportunities available in our long-term programs to:

  • Costa Rica
  • France
  • Italy
  • New Zealand

If you're interested in completing a short-term internship abroad with one of our third-party providers, please explore all our internships abroad here.

Language Requirements

If I only speak English, can I still go abroad?

Yes. Most of our programs require no prior language skills. However, if you decide to study for a semester in a non-English speaking country, Nazareth requires that you take at least one language course in the local language. For example, if you study for a semester in Spain, you will be required to take at least one Spanish language course.

For short-term programs, there are often no language pre-requisites to participate, nor are there any requirements that require taking a language course in-country.

Non-Nazareth Programs

Can I study abroad through a non-Nazareth program?

If you have your heart set on studying abroad in a country that we do not offer a program in, the Center for International Education can assist you in applying to another local institution that does. However, Nazareth monies and financial aid will not be transferrable to the other institution.

Passports & Visas

How do I apply for my first U.S. passport?

If you are a first-time applicant, you must apply in person. To apply you will need the following items:

  • Completed Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (ie. U.S. Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, etc.)
  • Government-Issued ID & Photocopy (ie. Fully-valid Driver's License, Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship, Current Military ID, etc.)
  • Two Official Passport Photos (2x2 in.)
  • Payment of Passport Fee (check, money order, credit card)

For more instructions on applying for your passport, click here.

How do I renew my U.S. passport?

Passports can be renewed by mail for some individuals, while others are required to renew theirs in person. Click here for instructions on renewing a U.S. passport. Applications are available at most USPS Offices or can be downloaded online.

Do I need a visa?


Yes. All long-term programs require student visas and/or residency permits.


It depends. Visa requirements vary for short-term programs. To see if your program requires a visa, see your individual program page.

What are the requirements to obtain a student visa?

Each country will have different requirements, so it is best to contact the program director directly. Here is a list of items that are typically required by the consulate:

  • Completed Application
  • Valid Passport
  • Proof of Enrollment
  • Proof of Housing
  • Proof of Funds/Support
  • Two Passport-Sized Photos
  • Fee Payment



Students must be in good academic standing and possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at the time of application.

Some programs require a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Students who have a cumulative GPA lower than 2.5 must submit a written appeal to Nevan Fisher, Director of the Center for International Education, within the application time frame of the respective program. Filing an appeal does not guarantee participation in an international experience. 

Successful applicants of the appeal process must submit a transcript that demonstrates steady and consistent improvement in academic performance. 

Terms Completed at Nazareth

For long-term programs: Students must complete two full semesters at Nazareth University before being eligible for consideration to participate in a long-term international experience and must achieve sophomore standing prior to departure. 

For short term programs: First year (freshman) and transfer students are eligible to apply to participate in a short-term international experience after completion of one full semester (fall or spring) of study at Nazareth. Applications for a program will be accepted while said students complete their first semester, as long as they complete that semester before the departure date of the program.

Disciplinary Actions

Students must not have any pending disciplinary actions and/or must not have received a disciplinary sanction of probation or higher. 

Pre-Departure Meetings

Participation in pre-departure meetings arranged by the program director(s) and/or the CIE is mandatory. 


Approval for participation in an international experience program will be determined by the CIE, the respective department, institution and/or third-party provider, program directors, and/or other designated personnel. 

Eligibility is based on study abroad criteria as well objectives of the program.



If not, visit our office (GAC 119), call Josh Fess in our office at (585) 389-2373, or email us at


Follow Us On Social Media!